Sunday, July 15, 2012

2012 Midnight Madness 5K, 10K, 15K challenge--Ames, Iowa

A very hot night in Ames, Iowa. Around 4p.m. a storm brought a bunch of rain. After the storm passed through the air was super humid. Tracy and I rode together to Ames and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on 13th Street. It was a very nice hotel which she got for a great price since she is a state employee. We left to pick up our packet and I ran into Alvin Ravenscroft.  See post here about how I met him.

I actually remembered his last name.  My friend Tracy took a picture of us which you will see below.

This race is unique for these reasons:
There is a 5 and 10K race.  Or you can do both for the 15K challenge and your times will be combined.
There is a pasta dinner after with cookies, fruit, water and soda.
This race is at night.

Al and Me at packet pickup.

Just before the 5K race started.  Stephany, Me, Lisa, Tracy and Rhoni  Jo.

Rhoni Jo, Lisa and Me right before the 10K.

Rhoni Jo and I running in the 10K.

I ran the 5K and had a time of 35:16. I think this was my slowest 5K time in all my history of running, but it was super hot out, around 90 degrees with super high humidity, and my body was having a hard time cooling down. I was hotter than I've ever been in a running race, and by mile 2 had a stomach ache and ran with this huge pain in my stomach.

 My stats for the 5K are these: I was 55 of 88 in my age group of 35-39. 477th place of 799 females. 1193rd place out of 1634 total finishers so I wasn't last and that is good. Here are the results. I finished and had about 20 minutes to prepare for the 10K. When I lined up for the 10K I just knew something wasn't right with me. My stomach hurt and I didn't feel like running any more. I felt done for the day. I ran the first mile and didn't stop, but then I was so warm and felt like puking. I never did puke and for that I'm grateful. I walked more than I would have liked during mile 2 and continued on. By mile 2.25 I knew I was just sick and should stop running. Thank goodness my friend Rhoni Jo was with me because she was feeling just fine and was in the right mind set to tell me to get medical help. She called Tracy who was waiting for us at the finish and told her I wouldn't be doing the 2nd 5K loop and to get me medical help.  I made it to the end of the 1st loop and was walked with Tracy to the medical tent.  As soon as a freezing cold wet towel was placed on my shoulders I perked right up and felt better.  My pulse was high, but my blood pressure was low.   I was disappointed that I didn't complete the full 15K, but it's better that I stopped instead of passing out.   I still completed 29 miles for the week so that's good.

No comments: