Sunday, March 18, 2012

2012 Casi St. Patricks Day Run 5K

It was a gorgeous March day around 65 degrees when I woke up. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and I don't remember any wind.  All of us met at North Dodge Athletic Club in Iowa City at 7:35a.m. so we could travel together to Davenport.  We chose that place because most of us were going to swim laps in the pool after the race so we could practice for our upcoming triathlon.   We arrived in downtown Davenport by
8:30 a.m. and found parking within 3 blocks of the race.  Thank goodness we arrived early because had we been even 15 minutes later there was no where close to park.  We found the shirt and bib pickup quickly and then went back to the car to get ready for the race.  By the time we all ran our race it was 75 degrees and a little humid. This race has been going on for 30 years and today was the 30th anniversary of that race.

There were many great things about this race that were done very well for instance:
Streets blocked off for safety.
Many police officers downtown helping with the race.
Medical tent
Plenty of food after race
Plenty of water after race
Bib and Shirt pickup went smoothly (well except for my friend Rhoni Jo Barnes, they had her listed as Rhoni for her first name and then Jo Barnes for her last name which was crazy.
Free pictures taken after the event.
Instant Results
Results posted online within 24 hours
Chip timed with a disposable chip so you DON'T have to give it back.
Accurate distance for the course.
Starting and finishing timing mats.

Things that need to be improved for this race are:
 MORE PORT A POTTIES.  There was like 30,000 people downtown (someone mentioned) at least for this race and they had THREE potties.  Seriously only three. Not sure what the race organizers are thinking.  Thank goodness there were many generous businesses who let you walk inside and use their toilet.   
NOT ENOUGH WATER AT THE ONLY WATER STATION
My friends Rhoni Jo and Tracy both walked the race this time.  Tracy did due to a foot injury and Rhoni Jo just had knee surgery 2.5 weeks ago.  By the time they got to the water station there was NO WATER.   They were hundreds of people from last so this means hundreds of people didn't get water.   NOT ACCEPTABLE.  

The race results are here if you care.

My personal results were these:  I was 964th of 2070 Overall.  50th of 144 in my age group of 35-39.  374th of 1179 Women.  I held a 9:42 Pace and my final time was 30:02. So not my best time at all.  I was disappointed to get a time of anything over 30 minutes.  However this was my first race this year in this humidity so I need to get used to that all over again.  Plus at the water station there was a backup of over a hundred people and we were at a stand still and couldn't even move forward for over 30 seconds.  NOT happy about that and then when we could move forward we could only walk for at least another 30 seconds.  I'm sure that didn't help my time at all.

Here are pictures we took today:
From Right to Left:  Stephany, Rhoni Jo, Tracy and Me.

A picture of the race map with Rhoni Jo and Stephany posing behind it.


Some race volunteers.  You can't have any race without them.  Thank you for your time.

Our awesome running socks and shoes with our timing chips on.

The lead car for the race.

Finish and Start line.  This picture was taken when the children lined up for their 1/4 mile race.

My friends and I dressed up to race.  I love our socks, beads and shamrock headbands.  We are just so cute.

Tracy with her fun glasses on.  The sun was hitting us weird.  I love Tracy's race number.  Too cool.

The front of the shirt

The back of the shirt

My race number

A picture of the picture that Walgreens took of us.

This lady was dressed up as a pot of gold.  I chased her down to get a picture with her.  I hope she didn't mind.

The back of her costume.  The words on her backside were "Follow the Pot of Gold"

Lastly, Tracy happened to snap a picture of me running.  Too cool.  I don't have the best running form in this picture, however I was slowing down so she could get a picture and I was waving.

3 comments:

The Duke said...

You continue to amaze me. I can't believe how dedicated you have become to the sport of running and racing. It would kill me off, I'm sure! The race looks like it was pretty fun.

Alyssa said...

That looks like a pretty fun race. Tracy and Stephany should have been wearing green. :( but O'well. :)

Anonymous said...

All of your points are great. Especially about the 1 water point with tiny dixie cups of water and only 3 port-o-potties. I thought they should have had a water point closer to the finish line as well...Im wondering if the race results site is down because I cant get to it at all. Congrats on your time and achievement!!