Saturday, May 7, 2016

Relay & Run for 21 7K and Half Marathon - March 20, 2016 - Clayton, Missouri

It was one of those mornings you won't forget and one of those mornings where you just can't trust the weather. 10 days out from this race and even a couple days before the weather said, "Cloudy, cold, small chance of rain" That morning things really changed. It was cold, the wind was blowing hard, it was snowing really hard and melting as soon as it touched the ground.  The flakes were huge and very wet. It was crazy.

I was signed up to do the half marathon (21K) however with the weather so bad and so very wet, I didn't have the proper clothing to be running in that for 2.5 hours. I didn't have rain gear to run in. So I did what I felt I should and switched last minute to the 7K.  That ended up to be great as I placed in my age group and I never expected to do that with the hills on this course, but I did and that was awesome.  Plus because of the last minute switch I was able to get back to the hotel just in time for breakfast before it ended.

Besides the course being full of hills, the race itself was put on very well.  The race director and team did an awesome job with food after the race, awards, shirts, finishing medals and more.  I was pleased and would do this race again IF I lived closer.

I just happened to be in St.Louis visiting Amy while she attended a Haunt convention.  We found this race to do before traveling back to Iowa.

 The results are HERE !
Amy Larkin, Me and Josh Sevcik after the race soaking wet.

Some of the goodies given to us after the race.

My bib with the finishing medal.

The finishing medal up close if you care.

My name on the computer screen showing the results.  I was beyond shocked that I had placed in my age group.  There were so many people.   On the screen I was 2nd in my age group so I was given the 2nd place award.  Found out later that the 1st person in my age group had actually placed overall top 3 women so she was taken out of age group ratings.  Then I was bumped up to 1st in my age group.  Pretty dang awesome.

My watch showing my time and distance.


The amazing plaque I received for being 1st.  I couldn't believe it. 

No comments: