Friday, February 15, 2013

Feeling better finally

I have a few races to post about, so I will do that hopefully this weekend.  I have only either watched these races cheering on other runner friends or walked them since I've been injured, but at least I've been there.  My greatest accomplishment while injured was doing an Indoor Triathlon.  I figured I can swim and I can bike, and for the running part, I just sped walked.   It worked out and I did well.  I wasn't last overall and I wasn't even last in my age group, so for an injured girl I would say I did well.

Update on my injury.  So I had a major bone bruise, which I still have in the left foot, and was told I'll have for another couple months.  I also had a high ankle sprain in 3 places, bone marrow edema and a blod clot in my left calf.  I had to wear a boot for 6 weeks and was on crutches.  The boot and crutches only lasted 4.5 weeks, but hey I tried.

After 3 months of NO running I am finally cleared to run again and that will be so great.

On Wednesday I went in to the Sports Medicine doctor AGAIN for like the hundredth time and he told me to start running.  I told him that I had tried it a couple weeks prior, but it hurt and my right ankle was hurting as well as the left and I was afraid that Maybe I had hurt the right ankle and might be favoring the Left.

He had the Right ankle x-rayed and found that I have a bone spur on the fibula, plus some arthritis and an extra bone in that ankle.  So that explains all the pain I've had in the Right foot.  However even with all this, the doctor told me to get back out there and run.  He said to try a little more each week and increase my distance each week by 10%.

So that night (Wednesday) I tried running again.  I walked 4 minutes, then ran 1 minute, then repeated that 6 more times.  Accomplished 2.09 miles in 32 minutes and even though the running felt extremely funny at first and slightly painful, it wasn't that bad and I DID IT!!!

So it's been two days and I will try and run again today.  I missed it so much.

Since I've been out of running I watched the Turkey Trot 5 mile race on  November 10th in Marion, Iowa, and took pictures of  my daughter and friends running it.  Watched the Santa Snow Shuffle 5K in December and cheered on friends.  I did a 5K in South Carolina, walking the whole thing and have a finishing medal to prove I was there and finished!!! Lastly I did that Indoor Triathlon at North Dodge Athletic Club in Iowa City.

My next race is next week, a Freeze Fest 5k in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  I have done this race the last couple years and really like it.  I hope to do the 4 minute walk, 1 minute run thing for the entire 5K.  At least I'll be running some of it, maybe only .75 miles of it, but hey, that will be something.  Then I have another 5K on March 23rd and I hope to run the entire thing, but don't want to push it too much.  I do have a Half Marathon on May 4th, so hopefully these next couple of months will be good recovery and training for me so I can accomplish that goal.


No comments: