Sunday, June 9, 2013

Holiday Lake Triathlon 2013--Brooklyn, Iowa

The morning started really early. Around 5:20 a.m. I woke up and started preparing for the day with a protein drink. At about 5 till 6 a.m. Ruth and Susan arrived. We headed for Holiday Lake. We arrived right around 7a.m. Last year I did this triathlon by myself, it was my first Sprint Triathlon, however this year I decided to do this with a team. Susan was the swimmer. I was the biker and Ruth was the runner.


Last year I did the bike portion of the race in 1:05:00. I was happy with that since it was my first sprint distance triathlon, however this year I wanted to have a bike time under an hour. This year I had biked a bunch as you will see in previous posts. I have biked at least 3 days a week for about 20 miles or more. I felt like I was ready. By mile 12 I had a time of 37 minutes. I was set up for a 50 minutes or under bike time.

However at the last turn around in the bike portion when we turned South, there was a headwind that was BAD. Then there was the LONG steep hill. Between the wind and the long, mile long hill, it just did me in. It took me 20 minutes to do the last 3.5 miles for a final bike time of 59:11. So the good news is that I beat last year's bike time, but the bad news is, not by much. Anyway. Besides all that, it was a great morning. Here are pictures:
Our race number.
The race shirt.
Fun stuff in our packet!
Ruth, Me and Susan
volunteers
more volunteers
even more volunteers
another great volunteer.
Racing feet!
My favorite sign of the day!
Right as the gun went off for the women to get in the water.
Susan in her suit running out to swim.
Everyone swimming.
Here I am coming in from the bike ride.  I was exhausted.  I had given it my all.  There
was not one ounce of energy left in me.
Ruth finishing her 5K.

No comments: