Sunday, October 18, 2015

Air Force 5K, 10K, Half Marathon 2015 - Dayton, OH - Saturday September 19, 2015

A huge goal I set on January 1st of this year was to run the Air Force Triple. I have been wanting to do this for 3 years, but never had my 10K time under an hour and you have to have that or you can't participate in all three races.  Last summer I finally had my 10K under an hour so I knew I was ready to register for these races.

On Friday the 18th Jason, Tyler and I got up super early and traveled to Ohio.  We arrived around 1p.m. Eastern time which was perfect to pick up our packet(s), got back to the hotel and relax, then get back to the 5k race.  Tyler won the 5K with a time of 17:01.  I took it easy and did 30:26 a 9:49 minute mile pace.  I didn't want to burn out for the next morning.  I was still pushing myself, especially in the 80 degree heat.  I was 9th place out of 118.  If I would have pushed I could have achieved 2nd place given my past average 5k times, so I might push much harder for next year.

The next morning at 7:30a.m. was the 10K, it was 65 degrees and high humidity.  It was only getting hotter by the minute.  I needed to push hard to get this under an hour.  Tyler came in 2nd place with a time of 35:05 which was 2 whole minutes ahead of 3rd place.  I was doing really well until mile 4.  I had a time under 34 minutes at mile 4.  I was set up for a major PR in the 10K, then I fell apart.  I suddenly became hot, I was spinning, felt sick and wasn't sure if I could continue running at all.  Luckily I was right near a water stop.  I poured cup after cup of water on me.  I was in serious distress.  Thankfully all the cold water being poured on my head woke me up and helped me feel tons better.  I walked/ran the last 2 miles for a finish of 59:06.  I was so incredibly bummed to finish 4 second over my PR.  Seriously I worked so hard.  But had to be thankful that I didn't pass out and I was still upright and ready to race a 3rd race within 16 hours, now the Half Marathon.   I did do my best with the weather I was given and I did finish 14th out of 174 in my age group, not bad.  Plus I was 116th place out of 1423 women, so I did do a good job.

So I started the Half and it was like I was in a fog.  My bad was done running and yet I still had 13.1 miles to run.  GRRR  Not a good thing given how hot it was getting.  I finished that race, but it was one of the hardest races I have ever ran.  I couldn't really find a pace or run until mile 5.  I did a ton of walking up till that point.

All of my Race bibs.  
At the expo at the Nutter Center in Dayton, OH, ready to see all the vendors and check into our hotel.  We were standing in front of the race course maps.  
Right before the 5K I found Sid Busch.  He is a friend on facebook that runs a lot of marathons.  The next day he was scheduled to do his 200th marathon.  Wow.  The special thing about Sid is he always runs in honor of a fallen friend or soldier.  Their picture and story is on his back.  He carries the American Flag for the entire run.

After finishing the 5K.  Tyler Sullivan, my friend that came with us won the 5K by almost a minute.  He is holding his award here.

After the half marathon.  Happy to be done.

After a nice long shower with the new race shirt and all the medals on.

A large towel we received in our packets.

All three medals.  5K, 10K and Half Marathon.

The back of the medal.

The front of the medal.

No comments: