Thursday, September 22, 2016

Run4troops Marathon - Dubuque, IA- Saturday, June 25, 2016

This race starts in Dyersville and you run on the flat, crushed limestone trail all the way to Dubuque.  It was the hottest day of the entire summer and James Anderson and I still chose to run this marathon. You never know what you're going to get weather wise when you sign up.  So you just do your best with the conditions you are given.

This was my first repeat state for a marathon.  I was helping my friend James complete his first ever marathon.

We started out at a nice 11 minute mile pace and figured that as the morning went on that I could hold that pace.  Wrong.  It was too hot to walk outside let alone run.  We were burning up by mile 13.

The only thing that saved us was our friends on the Cocky Rooster Race team.  They showed up all over the course to give us water, grapes, electrolyte pills, squirt us with water guns and give us bags of ice.  I really don't feel that we could have completed this race without them.  My friend Amy showed up too to cheer me on and offer support.

In the last 4 miles we walked a lot.  Every part of us was burning up.  I was so glad to see the finish line.

Many pictures are below, not necessarily in the right order:


Sunrise

Our friends on our race team.
A picture of us taken just after we started.
Medal,bib and results


After getting cleaned up with my new race shirt on.

The finish line


My race time on my Garmin.

After the race posing with our medals.


Amy and I later that day.

No comments: