Sunday, June 28, 2015

Quad Cities Sprint Triathlon - Saturday, June 20, 2015, - Davenport, Iowa

Quad Cities Triathon is a Sprint Distance Triathlon in Davenport, Iowa at 7 a.m. The weather was perfect this year and didn't really start getting warm until the running portion of the race.  Jason and I did this race together.


This Sprint Triathlon was a 600 Yard swim, 15 mile bike ride and then a 3.1 mile run.  Not all Sprint distance tris are created equal.  I wish they were because then personal records would be easier to track for your progress.  One great thing about doing the same race for the 2nd time out is that I knew I had improved and I'm two years older so I'm doing something right in training.  I wasn't sure how I would do because I just completed a marathon just 2 weeks prior to this race.

Here are my comparison stats:

2013   My overall time was 1:50:15

Swim time 16:07
Transition 1 time:  3:23 (your time getting out of the water, getting shoes on, getting wetsuit off, getting on bike and out of transition area)
Bike time: 57:11
Transition 2 time:  51 seconds (your time getting off your bike, hanging up your bike, getting helmet and sunglasses off and getting out of the transition area):
Run time:  32:42

In my age group for 2013 I was 24th out of 33 in my age group and 146th place out of 206 women

2015   My overall time was 1:45:40

Swim time:  15:28
Transition 1:  3:37
Bike:  54:07
Transition 2 time 44 seconds
Run time:  31:44

In my age group for 2015 I was 28th out of 39.  I was 145th place out of 237 Women.


So from looking at all those stats I have shaved a little time off the swim, but still have tons of work to do in that area.  Not panicking in the water would help me a ton.  But so far it happens every time and then I have to flip to my back and end up swimming back stroke as fast as possible.

My transition 1 time was slightly longer this time
My bike time was 3 whole minutes shorter, so that was nice.
My transition 2 time was 7 seconds shorter
My Run time was 58 seconds shorter.

So overall I did better, but still lots of work to do. I would like to be in the top 10 in my age group.  I am glad that I finished for that is the most important part to me, however I can do better with more training.


Full results are here:  http://www.qctriathlon.com/results.htm   if you really care.

A great race to do every year.  Very well organized and fun!



Ready to race, showing off our race tats!
Jason posing with his bike.
With the bike before the race started.
Jason coming out of the water. 

Jason running.  The look on his face is how I felt running.
I just tried to smile through my pain.


Me during the run portion.  I knew the photographer was taking
pictures so I smiled even though I was dying.  You try running after you have
swam as fast as you could for an average of 12 laps in a pool there and back, then biked
at a racing pace for 15 miles, then try and run.  It hurts, but it's awesome to finish!

No comments: