Thursday, November 10, 2016

Leading Ladies Marathon - Spearfish, South Dakota- August 21, 2016

Another state to check off for my 50 state marathon journey.  South Dakota.  This race was recommended by many for fast times because the race is mostly downhill.  The race started at 7 a.m. you had to be at the bus at 5:15 a.m. to catch the bus to the start. You miss the bus, you are out of luck.  Then you are dropped off in the freezing cold to wait an hour.  I personally think we could have met the bus a half hour later, but oh well.  The race started at the top of Spearfish Canyon in South Dakota. I didn't dress warmly enough, in fact I totally forgot to bring a throw-away jacket.  I was so cold at the start of the race.  At about 1/2 mile into the race I saw a girl throwing away her jacket.  I asked her if I could have it.  She didn't care.  I ended up wearing it for about 12 miles, then I finally warmed up. The race website is here.  My results are here.

I was running the full marathon and Amy was running the half.  We met my friend Sharon from Arizona to room with her.

When the marathon started out you had to actually run uphill for almost a mile, then most of the rest of the race was downhill or flat.  I was doing fine until about mile 4 when I started getting nauseous.  I walked more than I ever have in a marathon in the first 10 miles, but that was to help with the nausea.  After that the elevation must have been at a place where my body could handle it better.  I felt like a new woman by mile 12.  I took a few pictures along the way. I didn't like that the Full marathon finishing medal was exactly like the half marathon finishing medal.  That they should change for you are running twice as far, but everything else was nice.  Shirt was great, food after was nice.  Bus was on time to take you to the start, mini expo had some nice things to buy.  Packet pickup was organized.
Entering South Dakota
On the way down the mountain.  A gorgeous log cabin home.  I loved it.  There were many like it.

This picture doesn't do the scene justice.  It was so beautiful.  You can tell it was completely downhill.


Bridal Falls.  Totally awesome.

Finished.  

After the race.

Bib and medal.

Sharon from Arizona, me and Amy.

My official time

On the way home we stopped at the National Music Museum.  Totally awesome museum that I highly recommend visiting.

A gorgeous August day.

The Beach Boys' guitar signed by them.

No comments: